On the Road Again, I Can’t Wait to Get Back on the Road Again…

July 8, 2007 at 9:34 pm (Uncategorized)

Well, we made it. Barely. We (being my parents, my brother, and I) are at Bethany Beach, safe and sound, only a little worse for the wear perhaps. I was woken up at 7:30am and told to be out of the house at 8. This was fine, as I had already packed the night before, so I got myself moving and was ready by my deadline. But was the rest of my family (*cough*Dad*cough*)? Of course not! We finally got on the road a little around 9, which admittedly isn’t too bad. But Skittles’ expression as we left was heartwrenching. You could tell that she knew what was going on as we packed the car, and she was miserable then, but as we left, she watched us leave through the slats of the back gate, and it was the most pitiful thing I think I had ever seen. She will be so happy to see us back on Thursday night! As will I!

The trip actually went pretty fast. I read the entire newspaper, did a few Sudokus, and watched The World is Not Enough with my brother, and listened to a lot of music. We arrived at around 6:30, 7ish? Of course, I didn’t read a single book I had brought with me, nor did I accomplish anything else I had planned to do, like write some stuff for hangPROUD, or anything along those lines. Though I did manage to not get sick, so I suppose that’s something!

The one major hiccup in the whole trip was when we were on the New Jersey Turnpike. We got a flat tire. On the New Jersey Turnpike. We called AAA, but apparently they don’t service toll roads, so they couldn’t come help us. They promised to tell the State Police where we were, so that they in turn could send someone to help with traffic or whatever, but we saw neither head nor tail of them. So we were all alone on the side of the New Jersey Turnpike (speed limit: 65mph, give or take 10 or 15mph). Cars were zooming past us. I was so scared that someone was going to hit my father or brother, since the flat was on the left side of the car. It didn’t help that my father kept yelling at my mom and me to stay away from the road so we wouldn’t get hit.

Anyway, we had had a flat just two or three weeks before on the same car, just on the right front side, instead of the back left. But that time, we had AAA to help. But maybe watching the pro do it then helped my father do it this time. Who knows? Anyway, they got the job done and we were back on the road within about a half hour, but my dad stayed at around 60, 65mph for the rest of the drive, not wanting to risk another flat tire, since the only common denominator was speed in the two flats.

So the rest of the trip took a bit longer than anticipated, but that’s ok. It really didn’t feel like too long of a trip, even though I suppose it took like 9 or 10 hours, which is a wee bit longer than the anticipated 8. I’m sure the trip back will feel much longer, since there will be so much anticipation for Friday 😀


1 Comment

  1. Heidrun Peters said,

    Thank you, Kathleen, for joining BlogExplosion from my link …! I wish you many many visitors to your blog. It is well written, I enjoyed visiting here.
    from Germany

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: